What should your next steps be if you suffered an injury at work in Montgomery, Alabama? One option to consider is filing a workers’ compensation claim, which can allow you to recover for lost wages, medical expenses, and some other costs associated with your injury.
But it’s not just as easy as filing the paperwork to get the workers’ comp benefits that you may be entitled to. If your case is complicated, or if you don’t have a basic understanding of how workers’ compensation works, it might be a good idea to retain the services of an experienced workers’ compensation lawyer.
The benefits of working with a workers’ compensation lawyer in Montgomery, Alabama
If you’re not familiar with the workers’ compensation system, it can be difficult to file a successful claim in Alabama. A workers’ compensation lawyer can:
- Explain your legal rights and benefits: Alabama workers’ compensation law isn’t easy to understand if you don’t have legal representation. A lawyer can help you understand the process of filing a workers’ compensation claim. They can also make sure you stay on top of all the filing requirements and deadlines.
- Help you navigate the claims process: Before you can file a workers’ compensation claim, you’ll need to complete several tasks. You’ll need to fill out a slew of paperwork and collect evidence supporting your injury claim. With a lawyer by your side, the chances that you’ll complete the forms correctly and on time goes up, so you won’t have to refile any documentation or get stuck in an appeals process.
- Represent you in hearings and in court: Depending on how your workers’ compensation claim progresses, you may need to work with an insurance company, attend a hearing, or file an appeal. An experienced workers’ compensation lawyer can advocate for you and ensure your position is understood. Their arguments can help you maximize the workers’ comp benefits you’re entitled to based on your injury and circumstances.
- Handle administrative tasks: Every legal claim involves multiple time-consuming and often annoying administrative tasks. You’ll have to go back and forth with your insurance company, send lots of emails, and file lots of paperwork. A lawyer can help free you from these tasks so you can focus on recovering from your injury.
- Support you through the tough times: It’s not easy being injured—especially if that injury is keeping you out of work while you’re racking up medical bills. Working with a lawyer can give you hope and empower you during a challenging time.
How to find the right workers’ compensation lawyer in Montgomery, Alabama
If you need to hire a workers’ compensation lawyer in Montgomery, Alabama, you may want to know where to start. Consider these factors as you review your options.
- Experience: Given the complexity of workers’ compensation laws and procedures, you’ll want to work with a lawyer who has deep experience. Look for a lawyer with a track record of success in a variety of workers’ compensation cases.
- Credentials: Make sure your lawyer is licensed to practice law in Alabama and is in good standing with the state bar. You can check the Alabama State Bar website to verify a lawyer’s credentials.
- Recommendations: Ask your friends, family members, and co-workers whether they know of a good workers’ compensation lawyer in Montgomery, Alabama. You can also check online testimonials and ratings sites to get a sense of how satisfied clients are with a lawyer and read about their reputation.
- Gut feeling: Before you hire any lawyer, schedule an in-person consultation so you can get to know them, ask questions, and discuss your case. If you don’t feel comfortable with your lawyer, walk away.
If you suffered an injury on the job in Montgomery, Alabama, talk to a lawyer before filing a claim. The lawyers at Hunter & Everage have extensive experience in handling workers’ comp cases on behalf of injured workers in Alabama. Give us a call or send us a text today.